Here Is Everything You Need To Know About
What Is Dry Needling?
Dry needling is a therapeutic technique used by trained medical professionals to help treat pain and movement impairments. This technique utilizes a thin filiform needle that gets inserted through the skin to a specific target tissue. Although commonly inserted into muscles and tendons to treat pain and tightness, dry needling can also be used to target ligaments, bones, nerves, and other connective tissues. The term “dry” needling means that there is no medication being inserted with the needle.
Is Dry Needling the Same as Acupuncture?
- Dry needling is NOT the same as acupuncture. Although both utilize the same type of filiform needles, philosophies and needle insertion techniques/target tissues vary quite a bit. Dry needling is focused on a specific depth and specific tissue of the body. Acupuncture utilizes a technique based on traditional Chinese medicine that utilizes flow and energy of the body.
How Does Dry Needling Actually Help?
- Commonly, dry needling is utilized to address trigger points, or knots, within the muscles. When the needle is inserted, it causes an inhibition of the problem muscle. This may elicit a local twitch response to the muscle which can aid in the reduction of tightness and discomfort, although not necessary for positive outcomes.
- Dry needling has been shown to activate both opioid-based pain reduction, mediated by endogenous cannabinoids and the sympathetic nervous system, and non-opioid pain relief via serotonin and norepinephrine. Basically, it stimulates your body’s production of natural pain killers!
What Can Dry Needling Help With?
Dry needling can be used to help address many musculoskeletal conditions including
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Hip pain
- Knee pain
- Ankle Sprains
- Shoulder Pain
- Carpal Tunnel
- Tennis Elbow
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Muscle Spasms
Will Dry Needling Fix My Problem Immediately?
Dry needling is implemented as part of a treatment plan that often also utilizes manual therapy and therapeutic exercises to help address the impairments. People with certain impairments may notice immediate results while others may take a few sessions to see improvements.
What Can I Expect with Dry Needling?
You may feel sore immediately after treatment in the area of the body you were treated, this is normal but does not always occur. It can also take a few hours or the next day before you feel soreness. The soreness may vary depending on the area of the body that was treated as well as varies person to person, but typically it feels like you had an intense workout at the gym. Soreness typically lasts 24-48 hours. Mild bruising may occur, with some areas being more likely than others. It is common to feel tired, fatigued, or somewhat “out of it” after treatment. These are all normal responses and usually do not last very long.
There are times when treatment may actually make your typical symptoms worse. This is normal. The increased soreness usually does not last more than 48 hours. When soreness diminishes, overall discomfort and pain is typically less than before the needling was performed.
If you are interested in Dry needling therapy, contact the best local physical therapy clinic in Oviedo; B Physical Therapy today for an appointment.
We may use a combination of the following techniques to help you get your life back (Click each to learn more).
- Spinal Manipulation/Mobilization
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Pain Reducing Modalities
- Neuromuscular Retraining
- Mobility Training
- Strength Training
- Endurance Training
- Sport Specific Training
- Kinesiology Taping
What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination – only $77, no physician referral needed!
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
- Want more information?
- Schedule a complimentary consultation
- Download “Five Ways to Start Living Pain-Free”
- Download “The Healthy Lifestyle Checklist”
The B Physical Therapy Way
We have a 5-step approach:
Reduce your pain
Regain normal movement and eliminate pain
Get your life back
Optimize your life and body
B Your Best
We will work closely with all your healthcare providers
Guaranteed One-On-one Treatment
Setting goals is the best way to enjoy a successful outcome
Our team of highly trained professionals uses the latest healing technologies to restore you to pain-free health, quickly and easily. We thoroughly evaluate & treat all of the contributing root factors related to your issue. This includes, but is not limited to, your work and home stressors, overall body condition, nutrition, genetic & postural habits, emotional connections and patterns that are held in your muscles
Dr. Steven Balogh
Ask a Question
We offer Various Treatments
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.