Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome (IT Band)
Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome (IT Band)
Do You Have Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome (IT Band) Pain? Here’s What Causes It, And How We Treat it.
What Is A Meniscus Tear?
How does it feel?
Do You feel any of these symptoms:
Signs and symptoms?
- Stabbing or stinging pain along the outside of the knee.
- A feeling of the IT band “snapping” over the knee as it bends and straightens.
- Swelling near the outside of your knee.
- Occasional tightness and pain at the outside of the hip.
- Continuous pain following activity, particularly with walking, climbing, or descending stairs,
- We conduct a thorough examination including the back, hips, knee, and ankle/foot. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that physical therapy treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
Can Physical Therapy Help?
Yes!!! Recent onset of symptoms typically results in a quicker recovery time of about 1-2 months. Whereas persistent symptoms that have lasted longer than 6 months, usually takes 2-6 months to recover.
- Good news!!! Recent research has actually shown that physical therapy is a better option than surgery, pain medication and injections. We can help you avoid unnecessary invasive procedures and tests that cost a fortune with limited effectiveness.
- Did you know?! IT band issues typically begin in the hips due to weakness or tightness. The gluteus medius, gluteus maximus, and tensor fascia latae (TFL) muscles can all contribute to issues along the IT band.
- “I highly recommend B Physical in Oviedo! I injured my knee playing sand volleyball and my doctor was recommending PT (with their own in-house high priced therapists) before we consider surgery. I instead went on my own with Steven B and it was a great choice. Just started playing vball again and looks like I prevented surgery! I have more mobility and less pain than I’ve had in years of neglect. Thank you!” – Eric B.
- “I’ve had knee issues since I was a child. Being an avid runner didn’t exactly help my knees and I’ve dealt with frequent pain and swelling for years. After a friend’s recommendation, I chose to see Dr. B to see if he could help me enjoy running again, pain free. I was skeptical at first, but week after week I saw improvements. Dr. B took the time to talk with me, discuss my goals, my issues, and/or hesitation with certain exercises. He never judged or made me feel I couldn’t do it. His patience was a breath of fresh air. His enthusiasm made me excited to share my progress! After just a few months I am happy to share I ran for the first time in almost 2 years without my knee brace! And for the first time in YEARS without pain! Thank you Dr. B!” – Donna M.
- As good as it gets in physical therapy! Dr. Balogh treats his patients as more than just a number. He really does incorporate his own walk through physical therapy as a patient as a fuel to the passion he now has to help others realize the potential of their body. I got knocked during a soccer game and ended up hurting a tricky part of the knee anatomy. Not only did Dr. Balogh address the physical impairment in my condition but he also incorporated the learned skills and movement into applicable life situations as a student and as an athlete. Dr. B is the type of professional that goes above and beyond…. even far more than I would go for myself. That is the type of man that I would
We Treat a Variety Of Knee Pain:
- Knee Arthritis
- Meniscus Tear
- Patellofemoral Pain
- Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome (IT Band)
- Knee Ligament Injury (ACL Tear)
- Quad Strain Hamstring Strain
We may use a combination of the following techniques to help you get your life back (Click each to learn more).
What should I do next?
IT Band Pain Treatment When You Need It
If you’re experiencing Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome, you’re not alone. Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome makes up 12% of all running injuries and 24% of cycling injuries. The reason for this is because, when you run or cycle, you’re repeatedly flexing and extending your knees. When you do this too often without rest or proper stretching, it can cause your IT band to become irritated and inflamed. The result is IT band pain.
When you’re suffering from pain due to Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome, it’s important to receive professional band pain treatment from a certified and licensed physical therapist as soon as possible. IT band pain can not only impact your ability to run and cycle as normal but it can also keep you from performing daily tasks and enjoying life.
At B Physical Therapy Oviedo, we have the knowledge and skill to provide you with the pain band treatment you need to restore proper function to your knee. Because Iliotibial Pain Band Syndrome is caused by inflammation, IT pain band treatment typically involves heat and cold therapy and stretching. Your physical therapist at B Physical Therapy Oviedo may recommend quad stretches, deep lumbar rotations, and glute stretches to help improve the function of your knee.
It’s in your best interest to see a professional physical therapist for your IT pain band treatment because a physical therapist can ensure you’re using the proper form and technique. We can also recommend different stretches and exercises in the event that you’re in too much pain. Your stretches and exercises for IT pain band treatment may be uncomfortable while you’re recovering, but they should never hurt and you need to stop immediately if you feel pain.
If you’re experiencing IT band pain and you’re seeking treatment, reach out to the experienced physical therapists at B Physical Therapy Oviedo today. We’ll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about our services.
The B Physical way
Our team of highly trained professionals uses the latest healing technologies to restore you to pain-free health, quickly and easily. We thoroughly evaluate & treat all of the contributing root factors related to your issue. This includes, but is not limited to, your work and home stressors, overall body condition, nutrition, genetic & postural habits, emotional connections and patterns that are held in your muscles
Dr. Steven Balogh
Ask a Question
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.