Here Is Everything You Need To Know About
What is Neck Arthritis?
Your spine is made up of 33 vertebrae (bones) that are stacked on top of one another. Between each vertebra is a cushion-like piece of cartilage called an “intervertebral disk.” Imagine the disk as a tire, with gelatin filling the hole in the tire. The rubbery outer part is called the “annulus,” and the gelatin is called the “nucleus.” When we’re young—under 30 years of age—the disk is made mostly of gelatin. As we age, we start to lose some of that gelatin. The disk becomes flatter and less flexible, making it easier to injure. In some cases, the gelatin can push out through a crack in the rubbery exterior and lead to a herniation (bulge) or rupture (tear).
What are common causes of Neck Arthritis?
Your risk for developing a neck arthritis increases due to:
- Age – most cases occur in people who are 30 to 50 years of age as a result of age-related disk degeneration.
- Obesity – increased weight results in increased pressure on the disks
- Occupation – jobs that are physically demanding and involve repetitive tasks such as lifting, pushing, pulling, and twisting place additional stress on the disks
- Low levels of physical activity – people who are not physically active are less able to handle physical demands
How does it feel?
- Clicking or popping
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain improves at rest or restricting motion
- Inability to bend or rotate your neck
- Difficulty looking up, down or over your shoulder
- Weakness in your arm or shoulder muscles
- Muscle spasms and pain around the neck and shoulder
- Pain in the neck, upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Inability to maintain upright posture
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Difficulty maintaining one position for a long period of time
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
- We conduct a thorough examination including the head, neck, and arms. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that physical therapy treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
Can Physical Therapy Help?
- Yes!!! Recent onset of symptoms typically results in a quicker recovery time of about 1-2 months. Whereas persistent symptoms that have lasted longer than 6 months, usually takes 2-6 months to recover.
- Good news!!! Recent research has actually shown that physical therapy is a better option than surgery, pain medication and injections. We can help you avoid unnecessary invasive procedures and tests that cost a fortune with limited effectiveness.
- More good news!!! Recent research has also shown that arthritis can begin as early as your 20’s but most people actually never have pain due to arthritis alone. The outcomes with physical therapy treatment are very good to reduce pain, increase functionality, and enjoy your life!
- “I had a severe neck injury-impending surgery about a year ago and hope for improvement was little. […] I left the first session feeling positive and hopeful. Steven was very professional, thorough and patient. After the 3rd session, I could feel a huge improvement and by the end I was about 90% improved overall. This team does “miracles”! They support their patients, follow up on them… all this with a positive attitude and a smile!!” – Dr. Elias M.
We may use a combination of the following techniques to help you get your life back (click each link to learn more):
- Spinal Manipulation/Mobilization
- Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Pain Reducing Modalities
- Neuromuscular Retraining
- Mobility Training
- Strength Training
- Endurance Training
- Sport Specific Training
- Kinesiology Taping
What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination – only $77, no physician referral needed!
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
Want more information?
Get In Touch
The B Physical Therapy Way
We have a 5-step approach:
Reduce your pain
Regain normal movement and eliminate pain
Get your life back
Optimize your life and body
B Your Best
We will work closely with all your healthcare providers
Guaranteed One-On-one Treatment
Setting goals is the best way to enjoy a successful outcome
Our team of highly trained professionals use the latest healing technologies to restore you to pain-free health, quickly and easily. We thoroughly evaluate & treat all of the contributing root factors related to your issue. This includes, but is not limited to, your work and home stressors, overall body condition, nutrition, genetic & postural habits, emotional connections and patterns that are held in your muscles
Dr. Steven Balogh
Ask a Question
We offer Various Treatments
We are proud to offer a wide range of comprehensive services to meet the needs of our patients. Our team of professional therapist specialize in providing personalized exercise and rehabilitative therapy.