Best Oviedo Treatment for a
PINCHED NERVE IN NECK
Are you not able to continue your cherished hobbies or everyday activities because of sharp pain in your neck when you move? With our expert doctors’ help, you can get to the root of your symptoms and get back to doing what you love quicker and easier.
Are You Experiencing A Pinched Nerve In Your Neck? Here Are Some Common Signs And Symptoms , What Causes It, and The Best Way to Treat It!
What is a pinched nerve?
A pinched nerve, also medically called cervicalgia or a cervical radiculopathy, occurs when a nerve root coming off the spinal cord becomes compressed. The cervical spine consists of 7 cervical vertebrae (the bones that form the neck region). Each vertebra is separated by a gel-like disc. The discs provide shock absorption for the spine.
The spinal cord is like a tree trunk, and the spinal nerves are like the tree branches. If an impingement or abnormal pressure is placed on a branch near the trunk, everything along that branch will be affected.
The compression can occur for various reasons. In younger people, it may occur when a cervical disc herniates due to trauma. In older individuals, it commonly occurs spontaneously as a result of arthritis or decreased disc height in the neck region.
Spinal nerves can be impinged by:
- Disc wear-and-tear with age
- Herniated or bulging discs from trauma or degeneration
- Spinal stenosis (a narrowing of the spaces in which the nerves travel)
- Tumor (either benign or malignant)
How Does It Feel?
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain improves if you put your hand on your head
- Inability to bend or rotate your neck
- Difficulty looking up, down or over your shoulder
- Weakness in your arm or shoulder muscles
- Muscle spasms and pain around the neck and shoulder
- Pain in the neck, upper back, shoulders, arms, or hands
- Weakness in the arms or hands
- Numbness or tingling in the neck, shoulders, arms or hands
- Inability to maintain upright posture
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Difficulty maintaining one position for a long period of time
- Difficulty sleeping due to pain
- We conduct a thorough examination including the head, neck, and arms. We determine the root cause of your symptoms to ensure that physical therapy treatment is the best option for you.
- We examine posture, range of motion, strength, reflexes, sensation, soft tissue mobility, joint mobility, nerve mobility, and functional movements to create a custom treatment plan. We also take into account any imaging that you have had like X-Rays, MRI, CT scans, etc.
- Each nerve root corresponds with a specific area and we help determine which nerve(s) are affected to target our treatments toward these areas. This specified treatment helps you feel better quickly and get back to the activities you love!
Can Physical Therapy Help?
- Yes!!! Recent onset of symptoms typically results in a quicker recovery time of about 1-2 months. Whereas persistent symptoms that have lasted longer than 6 months, usually takes 2-6 months to recover.
- Good news!!! Recent research has actually shown that physical therapy is a better option than surgery, pain medication and injections. We can help you avoid unnecessary invasive procedures and tests that cost a fortune with limited effectiveness.
- “I had a severe neck injury-impending surgery about a year ago and hope for improvement was little. […] I left the first session feeling positive and hopeful. Steven was very professional, thorough and patient. After the 3rd session, I could feel a huge improvement and by the end I was about 90% improved overall. This team does “miracles”! They support their patients, follow up on them… all this with a positive attitude and a smile!!” – Dr. Elias M.
Physical Therapy Treatment
- We follow a 5-step approach:
- Recover – reduce your pain
- Restore – regain normal movement and eliminate pain
- Revitalize – get your life back
- Thrive – optimize your life and body
- B Your Best – flourish and live fully pain-free
- We may use a combination of the following techniques to help you get your life back (click each link to learn more):
- What should I do next?
- Schedule an initial examination – only $87, no physician referral needed!
- Let us find the root cause of your pain
- Create a custom treatment plan for you
- Start living pain-free!
- Want more information?
- Schedule a complimentary consultation
- Download “Five Ways to Start Living Pain-Free”
- Download “The Healthy Lifestyle Checklist”